Microsoft has barred 'Minecraft' creator Markus 'Notch' Persson from participating in the game's 10-year anniversary because of comments he's made online
- "Minecraft" creator Markus "Notch" Persson became a billionaire when he sold "Minecraft" to Microsoft in 2014.
- At the same time, Persson disconnected from the game and its ongoing development.
- In the years since, he's made a number of offensive public statements.
- Microsoft has moved to distance "Minecraft" from Persson, and is now excluding him from the game's 10-year anniversary celebrations.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The creator of "Minecraft" isn't allowed to participate in the game's 10-year anniversary celebrations, Microsoft says.
"His comments and opinions do not reflect those of Microsoft or Mojang and are not representative of 'Minecraft,'" a Microsoft representative told Variety on Monday.
The 10-year anniversary celebrates the launch of "Minecraft" as a playable game. It entered what is known as "alpha" - a software development jargon term that refers to the first usable form of software - on May 17, 2009. Microsoft is hosting an event to celebrate the upcoming anniversary, and says Persson isn't welcome.
Neither Persson nor Microsoft immediately responded to Business Insider's request for comment on Persson's exclusion from the event.
The "comments and opinions" Microsoft referenced in its statement largely come from Persson's Twitter account, @notch.
His statements range from being critical of "Minecraft" to supportive of conspiracy theorists. In some instances, he's made offensive statements about trans people. In other instances, he's said things like, "If you're still on the left, PLEASE wake up. You are evil."
For these comments, among others, Microsoft seems to be distancing Persson's creation from its creator: the company notably removed mentions of Persson from its main screen earlier this year.
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Sensex gains 156 points led by metal, IT and capital goods amid foreign capital inflows
- Gigabyte launches mid-range gaming laptops in India
- PepsiCo’s Quaker Oats cuts down sugar content by 30% to make breakfast cereals more healthy
- World Bank downgrades India's economic growth forecast to 6.5% for FY23
- Travel aggregator platform Booking Holdings to open a new technology centre in Bengaluru
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World