Microsoft just revealed a newer, cheaper Xbox One that completely ditches the disc drive
- The new Xbox One S All-Digital Edition will launch on May 7th for $249; pre-orders are available now.
- The Xbox One S All-Digital edition completely omits a Blu-ray/DVD disc drive, allowing Microsoft to sell the console for the lowest starting price of any Xbox One so far.
- With no disc drive, people who buy the Xbox One S All-Digital will need to build their library of games through Microsoft's digital store, and rely on streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Go to watch movies.
- Other than the missing drive, the All-Digital Edition console has all the same specs and performance as the standard Xbox One S.
Microsoft revealed the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition during their Inside Xbox stream earlier this afternoon, confirming months of rumors about a new version of the Xbox One.
The newest model of the Xbox One will completely forgo a disc drive; a bold move that reflects Microsoft's longterm investment in the Xbox marketplace and video game streaming technology.
The Xbox One S All-Digital Edition is available to pre-order for $249, the lowest starting price for any Xbox One model. Microsoft said the All-Digital Xbox One will arrive in stores on May 7th; the package will also include three free Xbox One games, "Minecraft," "Sea of Thieves," and "Forza Horizon 3."
Read on for more details about the new Xbox.
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
Removing the disc-drive from the All-Digital Xbox One S helped lower the price. It's otherwise identical to the current Xbox One S.
Buying the All-Digital Xbox One means players will depend on an online collection hosted by Microsoft, rather than owning their discs forever.
Even though the All-Digital Xbox One lacks Blu-Ray and DVD playback, the Xbox owners have access to all types of streaming content and TV viewing options.
Microsoft will also offer a combined discount on Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass to sweeten the deal.
The next generation of Xbox hardware will incorporate Microsoft's Project xCloud video game streaming service.
- A top AI researcher reportedly left Google for OpenAI after sharing concerns the company was training Bard on ChatGPT data
- An AI researcher who has been warning about the technology for over 20 years says we should 'shut it all down,' and issue an 'indefinite and worldwide' ban
- What is an indictment? What it means for someone to be indicted by a grand jury and why Trump was charged
- India reports 3,824 new Covid cases
- 77% of young Indians now spend the most on phones, apparels
- Global Pharma recalls 50,000 tubes of contaminated eye drops in US: USFDA
- Former India cricketer Salim Durani passes away aged 88; PM Narendra Modi, Ravi Shastri lead tributes
- India successfully achieves autonomous landing of Space vehicle