More store closures announced at the start of 2019 than in the entirety of 2018 as the retail apocalypse intensifies
- More store closures have already been announced in 2019 than in the entirety of 2018, according to new research.
- A report from Coresight Research shows that the retail apocalypse is continuing, with 5,994 store closures announced so far in the US this year, compared to 5,864 store closures in all of 2018.
- Some retailers including Fred's and Family Dollar are closing select stores in a bid to stay profitable while chains like Payless have announced that they are shuttering all of their stores.
- One report predicted that 75,000 stores will have to close across North America by 2026 as reliance on e-commerce rises.
View all Offers
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Gray Sierra, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 29999Buy On
- 19% OFF
Redmi Note 10 (Aqua Green, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) -Amoled Dot Display | 48MP Sony Sensor IMX582 | Snapdragon 678 Processor₹ 12999₹ 15999Buy On
- 70% OFF
boAt Rockerz 255 in-Ear Earphones with 8 Hours Battery, IPX5, Bluetooth V5.0 and Voice Assistant(Active Black)₹ 899₹ 2990Buy On
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9 (Carbon Black, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) | 2.3GHz Mediatek Helio G35 Octa core Processor₹ 8999₹ 10999Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 29999Buy On
Charlotte Russe, Family Dollar, and Abercrombie & Fitch are among these stores, announcing the close of more than 1,100 stores in just 24 hours in March.Victoria's Secret, JCPenney, and Gap have also announced that they are shuttering dozens of locations
announced in February that it was closing all of its 2,500 stores in North America.Coresight Research CEO Deborah Weinswig predicted that this trend will continue. "The flood of store closures will likely continue for quite some time," she said.
An April UBS report predicted that 75,000 stores will have to close across North America by 2026 as e-commerce presentation is set to rise by 25%.Coresight also noted, however, that some retailers are announcing new store openings. After going public earlier this year, Levi's announced plans to open 100 stores in its fiscal year, which ends in November.
There have been 2,641 store openings announced this year, Coresight said, compared to 3,239 openings in all of 2018.
UBS predicted that clothing stores would take the biggest impact, facing an estimated 21,000 store closures - 71% of all clothing shops across the US.
- Britannia, Tata Motors, Maruti Suzuki and other top stocks to watch out for on August 2
- These seven Indian states face the highest risk of a spike in COVID-19 infections and stricter restrictions
- Let budget bring resurgence, TN CM Stalin advises officials
- Tokyo Olympics: PV Sindhu bags bronze medal in women's singles badminton for India
- GST revenue collection for July rises by 33% with ₹1,16,393 crore