More than 2,000 new stores are opening in 2019 as Dollar General, TJ Maxx, and Aldi defy the retail apocalypse
- Dollar General, Aldi, TJ Maxx, Costco, and Walmart are among more than a dozen retailers that are planning to open new stores in 2019.
- Overall, retailers plan to open more than 2,000 new stores this year, according to a Business Insider analysis.
- This compares to the 5,300 stores that retailers are planning to close this year.
AdvertisementMany of the retailers that are opening new stores in 2019 are discounters, including Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Aldi, and TJ Maxx.
Here's the full list of companies opening stores.
Dollar General: 975 stores
Dollar Tree: 350 stores
Family Dollar: 200 stores
Ulta: 80 stores
HomeGoods: 65 stores
TJ Maxx and Marshalls: 60 stores
Abercrombie & Fitch: 40 stores
Sprouts Farmers Market: 30 stores
Target: 23 stores
Costco: 20 stores
Dry Goods: 19 stores
HomeSense: 15 stores
Walmart: fewer than 10 stores
Sierra Trading Post: 10 stores
Nordstrom: 7 stores
Kohl's: 4 stores
Wegmans: 3 stores
Whole Foods: 2 stores
- Delhi budget: Free Covid vaccine scheme at state-run hospitals; special women mohalla clinics
- Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat resigns
- Best Samsung mobile phones in India in March 2021
- Laxmi Organic IPO is slated to hit capital markets next week — price band set at ₹129-130 a share
- Tamil Nadu orders spot fine of ₹200 for not wearing a mask amid rising cases of COVID-19