More than 4,300 stores are closing in 2019 as the retail apocalypse drags on - here's the full list
- More than 4,300 stores are expected to close in 2019.
- Gap, JCPenney, and Victoria's Secret announced more than 300 store closures over the course of 24 hours this week.
- Payless has said it plans to close all of its 2,500 stores in what could be the largest retail liquidation in history.
The staggering rate of store closures that has rocked the retail industry over the last couple of years is expected to continue in 2019, with roughly the same level of closures expected this year.
Retailers closed a record-breaking 102 million square feet of store space in 2017, then smashed that record in 2018 by closing another 155 million square feet of space, according to estimates by the commercial real estate firm CoStar Group.
"This year we are predicting more of the same in the retail space," said Drew Myers, a CoStar senior consultant.
Retailers have announced more than 4,300 store closures so far this year, according to an analysis by Business Insider.
Here's a list of all the stores closing this year.
Payless ShoeSource: 2,500 stores
Gymboree: 805 stores
Shopko: 251 stores
Gap: 230 stores
Performance Bicycle: 102 stores
Charlotte Russe: 94 stores
Sears: 70 stores
Destination Maternity: 42-67 stores
Victoria's Secret: 53 stores
Kmart: 50 stores
Christopher & Banks: 30-40 stores
JCPenney: 27 stores
Henri Bendel: 23 stores
Beauty Brands: 25
Lowe's: 20 stores
Macy's: 9 stores
J.Crew: 7 stores
Kohl's: 4 stores
Nordstrom: 3 stores
- People want bigger homes and reopening offices, schools hasn’t altered this trend
- Prime Minister Modi says extension of free ration scheme will benefit crores during the festive season
- Central government employees given 4% hike in DA ahead of Diwali
- Jewellery chains are growing at the cost of standalone jewellers – and it’s only going to get worse, says World Gold Council report
- To beat the traffic of Bangalore, you can now book a 12-minute helicopter ride
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World