Mukesh Ambani’s Jio and a startup Byju's are in global spotlight as India’s internet users exceed that of US
- India contributes 12% of the world's3.8 billion internet users, while China has 21%, according to the Mary Meeker report.
- The report credits Mukesh Ambani’s
Reliance Jiofor the unprecdented growth in data use in India.
- Surprisingly, Indian edtech unicorn
Byju’s too found a mention in the report.
AdvertisementIndia continues to lead globally in number of internet users. According to the recent Mary Meeker report, India contributes to 12% of the world's 3.8 billion internet users while China holds 21%. US, on the other hand, has a total of 8%.
The report attributed the unprecedented growth in data use in India to Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio. Jio’s total number of users now stands at 306.7 million in India, according to a Telecom Regulatory Authority of India report, and that’s nearly 40% of India’s total subscriber base.
Jio, the report said, had an annual data usage of almost 17 EB (exabytes) in 2018. Earlier reports also say that Jio’s last quarter results show that an average user is consuming 11 GB data per month and this will go up after 5G.
A young star
Another Indian company that found a mention in the Mary Meeker report is education unicorn Byju’s. The company had earlier reported that its revenue has tripled to reach ₹14.3 billion in the financial year ending March 2019, with its paid user base increasing to touch 2.4 million in numbers.
The report mentions that the online education sector has been growing rapidly over the past few years because of the rising cost of undergraduate tuition and increasing student loan debt.
The eight-year old startup was founded by a teacher named Byju Raveendran in 2011 and has grown to be the fourth most valuable startup with its last reported valuation standing at $5 billion.
The magic number that Vodafone Idea, Airtel and Jio are chasing is 50
Jio adds 9.4 million customers in March – eats into Vodafone-Idea and Airtel's market share in India
Popular on BI
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024