Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio beats Airtel to be India’s second biggest telecom network
Reliance Jiois now officially India’s second biggest telecom network.
- Jio beat
Airteland added 8.1 million more users in May 2019.
Vodafone Ideasaw its numbers dwindling as it lost 6 million users in May.
AdvertisementMukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio has raced past its competitor Airtel to be India’s second biggest telecom network. According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India report, Jio had 322 million subscribers as of May 2019, adding 8.1 million users in a month. In April too, Jio added the very same number of users.
Meanwhile, Airtel lost 1.5 million users – it went from 321.8 million users in April to have 320.3 million in May. India’s biggest telecom provider Vodafone Idea lost 6 million users, and went from 392 million subscribers in April to have 387 million in May.
The report further mentions that 4.8 million Indians opted for Mobile Number Portability in May 2019.
Reliance Jio, since its official launch in 2016, has become the talk of the town by amassing a large number of users with cheap data plans.
Meanwhile, BSNL which has been in deep financial trouble continues to stand at 115.8 million users in May too. BSNL has a massive debt of ₹135 billion, and has been struggling to pay its employees and bills. According to reports, the government is trying to sanction a loan of ₹25 billion for the struggling company.
Popular on BI
- Best double door refrigerator (fridge) in India
- The Terra LUNA crypto crash has sparked the debate on ‘true’ decentralisation
- Tech Mahindra, Tata Motors, Maruti Suzuki, Ambuja Cements among stocks to watch out for on May 16
- Former Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds dies in car crash
- Why Lunar Eclipse on May 16, 2022 is called ‘Blood Moon’ total lunar eclipse