No wonder Huawei is the second-largest smartphone maker in the world - it makes great smartphones
Antonio Villas-Boas/Business Insider
- Huawei's Mate 20 Pro smartphone is a great mobile device, and the US market is worse off without it.
- It has a beautiful design, an excellent display, and great performance.
- The camera on Huawei phones gets a lot of hype, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.
- It has one party trick that's pretty neat, but it's not a reason to buy this phone.
I've finally had some quality time with a smartphone from a company that sells more phones than Apple.
Huawei's Mate 20 Pro is the latest in the company's lineup, and it's pretty clear why so many people around the world like Huawei smartphones - at least at the high end of the scale.
What we have here is a beautiful device that pleases in many areas, and the US smartphone market is worse off without its wider availability - although you can still buy and use the Mate 20 Pro in the US.
As is the case with every smartphone that's ever been released, however, the Mate 20 Pro is not perfect.
Check out the Huawei Mate 20 Pro:
Anyone looking for a premium Android smartphone won't be disappointed with the Mate 20 Pro.
My blue review unit has the slightest texture on the back that breaks up the smooth glass look and feel, which helps a little bit with hiding finger smudges.
The Mate 20 Pro uses similar facial recognition technology as Apple's Face ID, which means it needs a notch that's too big for my taste.
The Mate 20 Pro's in-display fingerprint sensor works very well, too.
The phone's party trick is its ability to charge other phones wirelessly, but I failed to find a time when I needed this feature.
The Mate 20 Pro runs on a different processor than most high-end Android phones, and it's just as fast.
But there's a ton of bloatware, and you can't get rid of some of it, which leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
I don't see what all the fuss is about with Huawei's smartphone cameras.
Overall, the Mate 20 Pro is a great phone if you typically buy high-end Android devices.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- IRCTC, IndiaMART, Cummins India and others have been under pressure in the last 5 days but still worth buying
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know