Not all of Melania Trump's fashion is out of touch - here are 5 of her affordable staples
- For first ladies, fashion is a key way to shape their public image and involves thoughtful choices to nail a formal occasion or public appearance.
- Modern first ladies, notably Michelle Obama, have been careful to seek out more affordable options to include in their wardrobes to make a polished but sensible statement on more casual occasions.
- Melania Trump has caught eyes with custom and couture pieces that some have criticized as impractical and unrealistically expensive, but the first lady also relies on some affordable staples.
- These are some of the jeans, sneakers, and casual tops that the first lady keeps on-hand for dressed-down days.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
First lady Melania Trump's outfits have been knocked in the past for being controversial, impractical, and massively expensive, but that's not the first lady's entire wardrobe.
Since the first family is on display for occasions such as formal events, vacation, and boarding Air Force One, the first lady fits affordable staples in-between couture pieces.
See the basic sneakers, casual tops, and jeans that are some of the first lady's repeat favorites.
Timberland boots: $170
J. Crew gingham button-down shirt: $75
The shirt was a casual step down from the first lady's flashier choices that made appearances at formal events and the 2016 campaign trail.
The sleek but casual sneakers are no stranger to the White House, as former first lady Michelle Obama sported them regularly as well.
J. Brand Jeans: $188
Though the jeans are on the pricier side, they pale in comparison to the rest of the first lady's luxe wardrobe. She saves them for travel or more casual appearances.