Now watching: Supreme Court of India may go live during proceedings
- The Supreme Court has declared that its willing to go live during its proceedings.
- Attorney general KK Venugopal has been asked to submit a draft of necessary guidelines for a live-stream proceeding.
- The Jury says that if it works well in the SC, live stream can be extended to other courtrooms in India.
The bench, headed by Chief Justice
The supporters also believe that it would lead to increased transparency. Last year the court had taken another huge step in transparency by allowing installation of CCTV cameras, recording both video and audio, across trial rooms and tribunals of all states.
The number of people crowding courtrooms during important judgements will also go down once the live streaming facility is activated. They will be able to watch it all sitting at home, much like the way it happens in England.
While, the right to information is strongly being asserted in support of this matter, the fundamental right to privacy comes under threat. The litigants’ right to privacy is at risk if courts discuss all cases live for all to watch. Apprehensions are being raised regarding national security cases, rape cases, matrimonial disputes etc that are far too sensitive to be put in front of an indiscrete public.
The court had been waiting since 3 May for a response from the Centre on the issue of live streaming. The government mooted the possibility of a separate television channel for the live stream, similar to what exists for streaming discussions that take place in the
If it works well in the SC, the jury says, the decision can be extended to other courtrooms in the country.
- Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky on the company's IPO— 'When the market's ready for Airbnb, it will go public'
- Best colour printers for home in India
- Roshni Nadar, Divya Gokulnath, Ameera Shah and Vinati Saraf — India’s most powerful businesswomen of 2020, according to Forbes
- No guarantee any Covid vaccine in development will work: WHO Chief
- OnePlus Buds review – affordable and high on quality