Obama says Vladimir Putin is Donald Trump's role model: 'He loves this guy'
AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster
During a rally supporting Democratic Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, Obama called Putin "Donald Trump's role model," and slammed the Republican presidential nominee for trying to "curry favor with Vladimir Putin.""He loves this guy," Obama said of Trump's relationship with Putin.
"Now their nominee is out there praising a guy, saying he's a strong leader, because he invades smaller countries, jails his opponents, controls the press, and drives his economy into a recession," Obama said.During a recent town hall appearance, Trump defended his statements about the Russian president by touting Putin's high poll numbers among many Russians, a point that Obama latched onto at Tuesday's speech.
"Saddam Hussein had a 90% poll rating. If you control the media and you've taken away everybody's civil liberties, and you jail dissidents, that's what happens," Obama said.Throughout the campaign, the real-estate magnate and his campaign haven't shied away from their closer relationship with Russia than many past Republican presidential nominees.Former campaign chair Paul Manafort was a longtime consultant for former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, a Putin ally who sought asylum in Russia after civil unrest in his own country forced him to flee.
Last week, Trump lauded Putin's ability to exert "very strong control over his country," and both Trump and running-mate Indiana Gov. Mike Pence declared that Putin was a "stronger leader" than Obama.
- OYO’s ‘Hockey’ print campaign is winning the internet; there’s a lot more in store, says its head of global brand Mayur Hola
- 77 cases of Indian COVID-19 variant found in the UK
- Karnataka CM Yediyurappa and MP from Punjab Harshmit Kaur Badal test COVID-19 positive
- Pakistan temporarily shuts down social media amid anti-France protests
- Four charts show how COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed in India