One dramatic chart shows why electric cars are about to become mainstream
So when car companies are able to make batteries cheap enough to put electric vehicles (EV) on par cost-wise with gas ones, they'll finally have a chance to mainstream.
Well, we're just about there.
Researchers estimate that once EV batteries cost $150 per kilowatt hour (kWh), they'll be cost-competitive with gas vehicles. For context, a fully-charged Tesla Model S 90D can go about 270 miles on its 85 kWh battery, according to the company.
EV batteries have dramatically dropped in price over the last five years, according to the United Nations-backed report, Global Trends in Renewable Energy Investment 2016, released March 24.
In 2010, the global average was $1,000 per kWh. By last year, it had fallen to $350 per kWh.
You can see the incredible change in this chart from the report, with a dramatic drop in cost between 2014 and 2015:
"[The cost declines] reflect improvements in battery chemistry and in manufacturing processes, economies of scale as factories get larger, and aggressive pricing by large battery makers looking to defend market share," the authors write.
You can see the effects these declines are having on electric cars coming to market today, too.
Aaron Brown/Tech Insider
Consumers are already responding to these price drops.
In 2015, 462,000 people around the world bought electric cars, according to the report - up 59% from the year before.
If batteries keep decreasing in price at this rate, a report from Argonne National Laboratory predicts that electric cars will make up 58% of the light vehicle market by 2030. And by then, non-hybrid gas cars will comprise less than one-fourth of the market.
Hopefully in the next decade or so we'll adopt even more renewable energy to charge these cars with, so they can displace even more carbon emissions than they already do.
Right now, electric cars are on the verge of going mainstream. Charging stations are proliferating (though not yet quickly enough). As EV batteries keep dropping in price and electric cars get cheaper, more and more people will decide an electric car is the choice for them - so we'd better build out the infrastructure needed to keep them charged.
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days