One of the best goalkeepers in the world committed a costly error in the World Cup
Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images
- Spain goalkeeper David de Gea let a shot from Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo go right through his hands and into goal in a World Cup match.
- Such a mistake is highly unusual for de Gea, one of the most decorated and celebrated goalkeepers in the game.
- Twitter users enjoyed poking fun at de Gea's mistake and comparing it to other infamous goalkeeping mishaps.
- The match ended in a draw.
David De Gea of Spain is generally seen as as one of the best goalkeepers in the World, but in Spain's opening World Cup match against Spain's neighbor on the Iberian Peninsula, Portugal, he committed a rare error.
Late in the first half Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo got the ball around the top of the penalty box, and fired a shot directly into de Gea's hands, but he let the ball slip through his grasp and into goal.
It's shocking to see a player like de Gea, the reigning Premier League Golden Glove winner and a five-time Premier League Team of the Year selection, committed such a brutal howler. Naturally, Twitter was shocked.
Others on social media were reminded of other infamous soccer howlers, such as Robert Green's botched save for England against the United States in the 2010 World Cup, as well as poor Loris Karius, who committed two brutal howlers for Liverpool against Real Madrid in a loss in the most recent Champions League final.
And de Gea's error did cost Spain, as the match ended in a draw, and while Spain should still be one of the favorites to get out of the group, Portugal now stands a good chance of finishing ahead of Spain in the group.
More World Cup 2018:
- 8 teams to root for in the World Cup if your favorite country went bust in qualifying
- Moroccan player heads the ball into his own net in stoppage time, giving his team a heartbreaking loss to Iran
- World Cup Power Ranking: Where every team stands heading into Russia 2018
- World Cup 2018: Everything you need to know about all 32 teams competing for the biggest prize in football
- The one player you need to know from every country competing in the 2018 FIFA World Cup
David de Gea is going to want that one back pic.twitter.com/hqjFQtWbOJ- FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) June 15, 2018
GOAL! #POR 2-1 #ESP- BBC Sport (@BBCSport) June 15, 2018
Ronaldo again! And we don't say this often, but it's a howler from David de Gea...
https://t.co/INjw1xlE0c#WorldCup #bbcworldcup #PORESP pic.twitter.com/xmzkeU2wmy
Not the first time the best player in the world has made a goalkeeper choke on the biggest stage pic.twitter.com/nHPZMkBbZA- Stars and Stripes FC (@StarsStripesFC) June 15, 2018
David De Gea when he meets Karius. pic.twitter.com/tBHXgIOEJW- Footy Humour (@FootyHumour) June 15, 2018
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath adds seven new ministers including Jitin Prasada ahead of polls
- Out of all cancer cases, 7.9% were found in children below 14 years, reveals ICMR report
- Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to roll out ₹7,270 crore support programme for 14 states
- New potential factor contributing to severity of COVID-19 identified
- Coastal Andhra on alert as 'Gulab' set to make landfall