A network of 28 tiny, one-bed hotels in Amsterdam is being called the most beautifully designed hotel of 2019 - and it consists of a series of converted bridge houses. Take a look inside.
Photo by Mirjam Bleeker, courtesy of SWEETS hotel
- Amsterdam's SWEETS hotel is a network of 28 individual hotel rooms located on and near bridges around the city.
- The hotel rooms are located in bridge operators' houses built between 1673 and 2009.
- SWEETS hotel won the hotel and short-stay interior category in the second annual Dezeen Awards, which recognizes the best architecture, interior and design projects around the world.
- Fifteen of the 28 hotel rooms are available to book now.
- Hotel room rates range from $133 to $1,050 per night.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
If you've ever visited Amsterdam, you know that waterways are the lifeblood of the city.
A total of 165 canals run through the city, and more than 1,200 bridges connect its maze of gabled houses. Now, thanks to SWEETS hotel, not only can visitors spend their days soaking up the beauty of Amsterdam's canals, but they can also wake up to panoramic views of them.
SWEETS hotel doesn't operate in the traditional sense - there is no lobby or check-in counter. Instead, it consists of 28 individual hotel rooms located throughout the city. The best part? The rooms are located on or near bridges in converted bridge operators' houses built between 1673 and 2009.
In early October, Dezeen, a London-based architecture and design magazine, recognized the innovative nature of SWEETS hotel, naming it the best hotel and short stay interior of 2019 in its second annual Dezeen Awards.
"This project is a fantastic initiative and collaboration between the city, the designer and the developer," said the Dezeen Awards interiors jury. "It questions the idea of hotels in this era of Airbnb by having separate hotel rooms dotted around the city allowing visitors to experience the city in a unique way."
Currently, 15 of the bridge houses have been renovated and are available to book, with starting rates ranging from $133 to $1050 per night. Take a look inside.