Photos show the scale of the destruction caused by the drone attacks on 2 Saudi Arabian oil facilities
- Photos show the extent of damage caused to the Abqaiq and Khurais oil refineries in Saudi Arabia.
- Aramco opened up the oil facilities to journalists as part of a press trip on Thursday.
- Saudi Arabia tell journalists they are working hard to resume normal oil production by the end of September.
- The damage was caused as a result of a drone attack on Saturday, shutting down production on around 5% of the world's daily crude oil production and causing oil prices to surge up to 20%.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Photos and videos detail the extent of damage caused by the drone strikes on two Saudi Arabian oil facilities last Saturday.The images were taken and shared by a number of Western journalists on a press tour organized by Saudi Aramco to show foreign reporters the devastation caused by the attacks on the Khurais and Abqaiq sites.Advertisement
Read More: The world's oil producers keep a massive amount of capacity in reserve. But it's almost all in Saudi Arabia and the drone attack messed with that too
A video posted by the Agence-France Presse to Twitter shows the damage caused to Saudi Arabia's Aramco oil facility in Khurais, east of Riyadh, focusing on a stabilization tower, a key piece of equipment used for refining oil from its raw state into usable products.The tower appears to be largely burned out, with much of its metal structure twisted and broken.
According to a tweet by Josie Ensor, a correspondent for the Daily Telegraph, the stabilization tower that was hit at 3.31 am and remained burning for four hours.Images broadcast by Sky News, which was also present on the trip, show the damage to the stabilization tower in even greater detail, with its upper section appearing to have almost completely collapsed as a result of the attacks.The two pictures below illustrated the extent of the damage to the tower.Advertisement
A video published by Ensor shows a crane close to the burned out stabilization tower, although it does not appear to be actively working on repairing the tower at the moment of the video.Ensor said alongside the video that Saudi Arabia is trying to press home the message that it aims to have the facility fully back online by the end of September.Advertisement
The holes are on the north side of the stabilization towers, according to the report by Sky News.Advertisement
The positioning of the holes is one of the reasons that Saudi Arabia and the US say the drone attack was made from the north of the country and not the south.This is one of the reasons why Saudi authorities say Iran may be responsible for the attack, although investigations are still underway. Read more: Iran's foreign minister warned of 'all-out war' if the US launches a military response to Saudi oil attackAdvertisement
"The attack was launched from the north and unquestionably sponsored by Iran," Saudi Arabia's Defense Ministry spokesman Col. Turki al-Malki said at a press conference Wednesday."The Iranian regime and the IRGC [Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps], they are trying to hide any evidence" of involvement, he said.Advertisement
Saudi Arabia has so far stopped short of directly blaming Iran for the attacks, saying only that it "sponsored" them.
VIDEO: Images taken during a press tour show the damage at the site of one of Saudi Arabia's #Aramco oil installations in #Khurais following an attack that Saudi Arabia said was "unquestionably" sponsored by Iran pic.twitter.com/cM2LwrkvCO- AFP news agency (@AFP) September 20, 2019
- 1,417 new coronavirus cases detected in Pune, 29 deaths
- Disney World reopens as coronavirus cases surge in Florida
- Gautam Buddh Nagar: 62 arrested, 973 vehicles penalized for violating COVID-19 curbs
- COVID-19: 117 new cases, 3 deaths in Goa on Friday
- Union Minister visits city hospitals, discusses COVID-19 war