Pixar's 'Soul' had a huge debut weekend on Disney Plus, according to new Nielsen viewership data
- Viewers spent nearly 1.7 billion minutes watching "Soul" on
Disney Plusin the US in its first weekend, according to Nielsen.
- The movie topped Nielsen's latest list of most watched
streamingtitles for the week of December 21 to December 27.
- It bodes well for Disney, which plans to release more movies directly to
Pixar's "Soul" had a huge opening weekend on Disney Plus last month.
Viewers in the US spent 1.67 billion minutes watching the movie the week of December 21 to December 27 (it premiered on the streaming service on Friday, December 25), according to Nielsen. It topped the research company's latest list of top streaming titles released on Friday, which accounts for Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime Video.READ MORE: New research shows the average US household now subscribes to 4 streaming services - and it could lead to a major shift in the market
Disney did not immediately return a request for comment."The Office," which has nearly 200 episodes, landed at No. 2 on Nielsen's latest list with 1.4 billion minutes watched. The list accounted for the popular sitcom's final full week on Netflix before it left for NBCUniversal's Peacock at the end of 2020.
Questions still linger over what Disney will do with its major tentpole releases, particularly "Black Widow," which is currently dated for theatrical release in May. Other studios have already started to delay (again) several major movies this week, including the James Bond movie "No Time to Die."
- Earth's satellites, power grids and planes may have more time to prepare against the threat of solar flares
- These are India’s top 10 'most livable' cities, according to the government's Ease of Living Index 2020
- Flipkart is reportedly looking to list in US via a blank cheque firm
- Smartphone brand OPPO will launch new fitness band on March 9
- Ahead of its electric three-wheeler launch, EV startup Euler Motors raises ₹30 crore