PM-AASHA scheme: Government's attempt to help distressed farmers through new procurement policy
- The government of
Indiahas announced the PM-AASHAscheme with the aim of ensuring that farmers are remunerated.
- States will have the choice of three schemes to choose from to compensate farmers.
- While this may provide temporary relief, it may have negative long-term effects on the economy.
The umbrella scheme is called ‘Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan’ (PM-AASHA) and has three sub-schemes within - the Price Support Scheme (PSS), the Price Deficiency Payment Scheme (
The government is following up on its promise of providing minimum support price to farmers through these schemes. But, there's a catch. The government is only applying this to 25% of the agricultural produce. The rest of the 75% will still have to be sold on the open market.
That being said, there’s an argument to be made for whether or not this is really the best solution on the table.
It’s not just about the
While the procurement may be in the name of the scheme, the government buying more agricultural produce is about more than just the basic cost. Once the stock has been bought there are incidentals, distribution costs and the carrying/storage cost.
This may not fall into in the paradigm of the PM-AASHA scheme, but it will definitely increase the operational costs for the Food Corporation of India (
The issue with meeting the MSP has never been the intention of ensuring that farmers get proper prices, but the fact that it deviates the market from following the basic fundamentals of supply and demand.
So while the MSP increases the cost of foodgrains, it also floods the market with excess supply at the same time. And, since the general price level is really sensitive to changes in foodgrain prices, the economy sees an inflationary trend.
As the prices continuously increase, the government has to keep increasing the MSP, and thus, the food subsidy bill goes on increasing.
AdvertisementOn the other hand, if the government was to look into measures that actually stabilise the farmer’s incomes instead, the solution may be sustainable. It would imply that their remuneration wouldn’t be as susceptible to supply shocks and price hikes.
The focus, instead, could be on modernising the agricultural sector so that it can compete in a fully liberalised market and improving landholding patterns to accommodate greater productivity.
Because at the end of the day, the inflationary trend put into place will hurt the rural poor the most, who depend on the market for their consumption needs. And, the government will also have to bear the brunt of the eventual fiscal squeeze.
Popular on BI
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- International air travel penetration remains low in India: CAPA
- "Meeting friends is always a delight": PM Modi reacts to 'Melodi' selfie shared by Italian counterpart Georgia Meloni
- WhatsApp testing new feature that lets you search users by their username
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts