14 million Americans are about to lose unemployment benefits if Trump holds stimulus talks up
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images
- President Donald
Trumpis slowing momentum on stimulus. The delay could result in millions — up to 14 — of Americans losing unemployment benefitsthe day after Christmas.
- In a Tuesday night video, the lame-duck president slammed the $900 billion relief package passed by Congress. Trump called the package a "disgrace" and asked that Congress amend the bill to increase $600 stimulus checks to $2,000. It is unclear if Trump would veto an unamended stimulus package.
- The stall could further devastate the finances of millions of jobless Americans.
- Per a new data release from the Dept. of Labor, the week ending in December 5 saw 9.3 million self-employed and gig workers relying on the Pandemic
UnemploymentAssistance Program and 4.8 million people relying on the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation program.
- Both pandemic-related programs are slated to end on December 26.
- Those Americans may not get another chance at a monetary lifeline until the January 20 inauguration.
- "President Trump's apparent refusal to immediately sign the $900 billion dollar stimulus legislation has injected uncertainty or worse into the effort to protect millions of Americans from falling over a financial cliff," Mark Hamrick, senior economist at the consumer finances firm Bankrate told Business Insider in a statement.
- "The stimulus package was imperfect, very late, but better late than never and far better than nothing," Hamrick continued. "It would make the difference between an
economythat could contract in the first quarter versus remaining above water."
- The expirations are another lump of coal in the K-shaped Christmas, where Americans at the top of the economy are saving up and those at the bottom are falling more.
Popular on BI
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years
- There will be a major shift in the way Indians shop and consume brands
- Modi remembers Nehru and Sarvarkar in his speech today
- Made-in-India gun used for 1st time for ceremonial salute at Red Fort on Independence Day