Bacon keeps getting more expensive - it now costs 13% more than last year, government data shows
Baconis way more expensive than it was a year ago.
- The price of bacon has jumped 13% year-on-year, BLS data shows, and it rose 1.8% between April and May.
consumer price indexwas up 5%, but signals suggest an inflationslowdown could be coming.
Bacon is now 13% more expensive than a year ago, according to the latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).And it's not just shoppers facing higher prices: The owner of Burger King and Popeyes says prices for its key ingredients, including bacon, are rising, according to an internal report viewed by Bloomberg News.
The cost of other household staples has risen sharply, too. Over the past year, whole milk prices have risen 7.2%, beer 2.4%, and cigarettes 7.6%, the BLS data showed.
The overall consumer price index (
The 5% year-on-year inflation was the strongest since August 2008, and beat economists' expectations. But annual price rises are measured against an unusually low base in May 2020, when most of the country was in lockdown.
The BLS figures showed that food away from home rose by 4% year-on-year. Restaurants are putting up the prices of menu items due to rising food costs and a
- Delhi reports its lowest daily COVID-19 cases in 104 days, records 213 single day COVID-19 cases
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp
- India may classify Bitcoin as an asset class, but that may not solve the underlying problem
- Facebook rolls out new chat themes and payment options in Messenger app for US users
- Dodla Dairy's ₹520 crore IPO isn't to expand into new markets but to strengthen its foothold where it already exists