Bernie Sanders says Democrats will use reconciliation to pass Biden's $2 trillion stimulus package. Here is how that would work.
- Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont said in an interview on Sunday that Democrats can use budget reconciliation to pass President Joe Biden's stimulus package.
- Although Sanders had previously criticized Republicans' usage of reconciliation, he said it is necessary now to provide urgent relief quickly to American families.
- Both Republican and Democratic administrations in the past have used reconciliation to pass legislation through Congress.
Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont said on Sunday that Democrats will use budget reconciliation to pass President Joe Biden's stimulus package with a simple majority in Congress.
In an interview with CNN's Dana Bash, Sanders said that Democrats will use reconciliation to pass Biden's $2 trillion stimulus package to quickly provide aid to families suffering during the pandemic. Without reconciliation, Republicans could use the filibuster to prevent Democrats from passing legislation, Insider previously reported, and although Sanders has criticized Republicans' usage of reconciliation in the past, he argued that with Americans needing immediate aid, this method is now necessary.
—State of the Union (@CNNSotu) January 24, 2021"Yes, I did criticize them for that," Sanders said to Bash. "And if they want to criticize me for helping to feed children who are hungry or senior citizens in this country who are isolated and alone and don't have enough food, they can criticize me."
Both Republican and Democratic administrations have used the method in the past. For example, Republicans under former President Donald Trump used reconciliation in a failed attempt to repeal Obamacare, and under former President Barack Obama, reconciliation was used to enact a companion bill to the Affordable Care Act.
- India records 16,752 fresh COVID-19 cases, biggest single-day jump in 30 days
- Indian rocket PSLV puts Brazil's Amazonia-1 satellite into orbit
- Apple Music launches 'Behind The Songs' hub to highlight songwriters and producers
- PSLV rocket lifts off with 19 satellites from Brazil, US and India
- Around 96% people saw drop in their earnings during COVID-19 induced lockdown