Biden freezes all federal regulatory proposals, including Mnuchin's controversial crypto wallet legislation, until his new administration can review them
Joe Bidenhalted all last-minute rules from Trump's administration, including those for cryptocurrency.
- Hours after Biden's inauguration ceremony, the order was circulated in a memo to all federal agencies.
- Controversial crypto regulations proposed by Steve
Mnuchinon December 18 were met with criticism.
Biden asked his chief of staff, Ron Klaine, to communicate the order to all federal departments and agencies in a memo Wednesday. Except for emergency situations, any proposed rules should be halted and any sent to the Office of the Federal Register should be immediately withdrawn, Klaine said.
The US Treasury, under Mnuchin, announced proposed rules in December requiring registered crypto exchanges to verify the "identity of their customers, if a counterparty uses an unhosted or otherwise covered wallet and the transaction is greater than $3,000."
Under the proposed rules, users of such crypto exchanges who wish to move their holdings into private, or self-hosted wallets, would be required to provide detailed personal information for transactions over $3,000. These exchanges would also have to report transactions valued at more than $10,000 to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCEN.
A 15-day public comment period for the rule was proposed initially, but this was extended following backlash from crypto groups and companies. Critics pointed out that the proposed rules threaten crypto innovation and privacy rights of individuals and entities that transact in
Biden's freeze on new regulatory proposals seems to be a welcome move for some crypto advocates.
"We fought hard & earned the right to take a breath & reset," Jake Chervinsky, the DeFi Group co-chair at the Blockchain Association said in a tweet. "Janet Yellen isn't Steve Mnuchin. I'm optimistic."
Read More: Bubbly behavior is brewing in markets and Big Tech is reeling from 2 major political events this month - Three investing heavyweights that jointly manage almost $1 trillion break down the impact on these stocks and how to position
- A married couple with a 4-month-old baby were both laid off by Google, while one of them was on parental leave
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- 86-year-old removes ‘retirement’ from his dictionary to become a startup founder
- Two Indian-born mathematicians US, Canada get Padma awards
- Equal-weight index: For diversified investments with low volatility
- I wish we move ahead unitedly, PM Modi extends greetings on country's 74th Republic Day
- R-Day: Traffic islands, roundabouts in Lutyens' Delhi decked up with artistic floral designs