Popular US inflation measure climbs more than expected in May as price growth accelerates further
- The consumer price index, a key
inflation gauge, rose by 0.6% in May, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said.
- The 5% annual rise in the
CPIwas the biggest increase since August 2008.
- Republicans have blamed
inflationon Biden's spending, while Democrats see the jump as temporary.
Consumer prices broadly rose by more than forecast in May as rebounding demand butted heads with various supply shortages through reopening.The consumer price index climbed by 0.6% from April to May, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said on Thursday. That landed above the median estimate of 0.4% from economists surveyed by Bloomberg. The release followed a 0.8% month-over-month jump in April, which was the largest single-month jump in prices since 2009.
Buying sprees, bottlenecks, and shortagesWhile measures of consumer demand have shown an
The unprecedented economic situation has also split experts predicting how inflation will trend in the months ahead. Republicans and some moderate Democrats recently doubled down on their claims that the Biden administration's spending efforts risked an inflationary spiral.Democrats largely see the overshoot as temporary and expect inflation to cool as supply chains heal. President Joe Biden on Tuesday took a larger step toward addressing various bottlenecks, announcing a plan to shore up the supply of semiconductors, batteries, and other in-demand products. The administration said it aimed to collaborate across departments to identify and counter bottlenecks as they emerge. The plan also proposed funding for boosting domestic production. Even if supply chains quickly heal, the administration has indicated it's prepared for stronger inflation to last through the year. Elevated inflation rates are "not something that's endemic," Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said late last month. The government should still spend on infrastructure and other investments despite the high inflation prints, she added.
- Delhi reports its lowest daily COVID-19 cases in 104 days, records 213 single day COVID-19 cases
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp
- India may classify Bitcoin as an asset class, but that may not solve the underlying problem
- Facebook rolls out new chat themes and payment options in Messenger app for US users
- Dodla Dairy's ₹520 crore IPO isn't to expand into new markets but to strengthen its foothold where it already exists