RBI cuts interest rate by 25 basis points and lowers GDP forecast to 6.1%
- As expected, RBI cut repo rate by 25 basis points or 0.25%
- It also kept its stance as accommodative.
- BSE Sensex rose 200 points in the morning anticipation of a sharp rate cut.
The RBI has cumulatively cut interest rates by 1.35% as of now, in multiple cuts. In the last monetary policy, it went ahead with a 35 basis point rate cut, which was unprecedented.
RBI also reduced its growth rate projections for the current financial year to 6.1% from 6.9% earlier.
The stock markets have been predicting a 25 basis point or higher rate cut and BSE Sensex rose 200 points in the morning in anticipation.
“We pencil in a 40 bps of rate cut which should be a signal to the market that the Monetary Policy Committee is not quite done as it front loads the remaining couple of rate cuts in the cycle,” said Suvodeep Rakshit, Vice President & Sr. Economist, Kotak Institutional Equities.
RBI has been saying that growth will be a primary concern. In the first quarter of the financial year, the economy grew at 5% instead of the estimated 5.8-6.6% the first half. “With inflation remaining within its comfort range, despite recent onion price increases, revisions to its growth forecast warrant a sharper-than-usual rate cut in the October policy,” said Rakshit.
Experts also believe that a chunky rate cut would speed up the slow transmission of rate cut benefits by banks to consumers. “The monetary policy expectation is not just limited to rate cuts. While aggregate liquidity conditions have improved, transmission remains slow. The RBI’s assessment of the same will be critical,” said a report by Edelweiss Research.
Popular on BI
- Omicron in India — Maharashtra and Rajasthan have recorded 19 positive cases so far
- Battle of metaverses: The Sandbox, Decentraland and CryptoVoxels see sales surge as companies look to get in on the ground floor
- Sensex jumps over 400 points in early trade; Nifty tests 17,000 — Tata Steel, Kotak Bank, Axis Bank, Maruti, IndusInd Bank and SBI top gainers
- Redmi Note 11T 5G vs Realme 8s 5G — 5G mid rangers compared
- Zoho is selling its video calling app in as many ways as possible