The Chamber of Commerce calls for an end to $300 federal unemployment benefits after April's lackluster jobs report
- The Chamber of Commerce is urging an end to the $300-per-week federal unemployment benefit in the Biden
- The business lobby group argues the state is "paying people not to work," citing April's dismal jobs report.
Democratsand many economists dispute that, arguing jobs were still created with the benefits in place.
The Chamber of Commerce called for an end to the $300-per-week federal unemployment benefit in the stimulus law on Friday, assailing it as an obstacle to the economic recovery. The influential business group cited April's dismal jobs report that showed payrolls had not kept up with March's encouraging pace.
"The disappointing jobs report makes it clear that paying people not to work is dampening what should be a stronger jobs market," the chamber's chief
The latest jobs report released on Friday showed the
It was a sharp decrease from the 770,000 jobs regained in March, a figure that was revised downward in this jobs report. The economy remains 8.2 million jobs below pre-pandemic levels.
The $300 federal unemployment benefit was a key part of the $1.9 trillion stimulus package enacted by President
Biden dismissed the prospect the federal jobless aid was stymying job growth, saying it was "nothing measurable."
Many economists and Democrats dispute the charge that
Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, chair of the Senate Finance Committee, released a statement warning against an end to government jobless aid. He said that step "could cause tremendous financial pain and sabotage our economic recovery."
"Tackling challenges like child care, rather than scapegoating workers, is going to boost our economic recovery," he said.
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts
- IPL has given me confidence to remain calm under pressure: Rinku Singh
- GST collection surges to 8-month high in November
- Environmental Impact Assessments