US home starts gained to best rate since 2006 to close out the housing market's triumphant year
housing startsgained 5.8% in December to an adjusted annualized rate of roughly 1.67 million units, the Census Bureau said Thursday.
- The rate is the fastest since 2006 and signals continued strength in the
housingsector through the end of last year.
- While multifamily construction lagged, vaccine distribution and economic reopening should lift the segment, Barclays economists said in a research note.
Home starts in the US climbed in December to the fastest pace since 2006 as housing-market activity thrived into the new year.
New residential construction starts gained 5.8% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of roughly 1.67 million units, according to Census Bureau data published Thursday. The rate sits 5.2% above the year-ago level. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg expected the rate to fall slightly to 1.56 million from November's revised level.
Single-family-unit starts rose 12% to a rate of 1.34 million. Starts for residences in buildings with five units or more fell 15.2% to a rate of 312,000.
Permits for new residential units rose 4.5% in December to a rate of 1.71 million, signaling the sector's strength will continue in 2021.
The unexpected uptick in construction adds to a robust year for the
The Census Bureau's latest report suggests homebuilders are rushing to counteract the dwindling number of available units. And although apartment construction slowed through 2020 as Americans fled densely populated areas, recent developments stand to lift the lagging segment.
"The approval and administration of a number of vaccines and the prospects of reaching herd immunity by the middle of next year will likely be a boon to multifamily construction," Barclays economists said in a note.
The housing sector's resilience should "make a strong contribution" to fourth-quarter economic growth, they added.
- Elon Musk's brain-chip startup shares video it says shows a monkey telepathically 'typing'
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Herschel Walker's son says Trump called his father for months demanding that he run, while 'everyone with a brain' begged him not to
- Data of 6 lakh Indians sold on 'bot' markets for nearly Rs 490 each
- Rate hike to affect housing demand in the mid and affordable segments, say experts
- From vaccination certificate to pornstar martini - here are top ‘how to’ Google searches in India
- Alert in south coastal Andhra for cyclone 'Mandous'
- IPL to KGF Chapter 2 to FIFA World Cup, here are the top Google searches in India in 2022
- Jio Haptik
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World