A 22-year-old Texas man involved in a plot to use Grindr to kidnap and rob gay men has been sentenced to 23 years in prison
Texasman involved in a Grindrplot to kidnap and rob Grindr users has been sentenced.
- Daniel Jenkins is the last of four men to receive a sentence for the scheme, which began in 2017.
A Texas man has been sentenced to more than 23 years in prison for targeting, kidnapping, and robbing gay men, according to the Department of Justice.
Daniel Jenkins, 22, is the last of four men to be sentenced. He and the other three men were involved in a 2017 plot to "lure" at least nine Grindr users to their apartment, where they held them at gunpoint, the DOJ release says. The Grindr users, under duress, then drove to nearby ATMs to withdraw cash from their accounts.
They created fake Grindr profiles to attract "men they perceived to be gay to a location to rob them," the release says.
Once the men showed up at their apartment, Jenkins "took their personal property and assaulted them, causing at least one victim physical injury," according to the DOJ. "Jenkins admitted that he knew that members of the conspiracy used gay slurs and taunted the victims, and that at least one member of the conspiracy attempted to sexually assault a victim. Jenkins also admitted to participating in the carjacking of at least one victim."
All four men pleaded guilty. Jenkins was the last to do so, the DOJ release says, pleading guilty earlier this year in June. He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit
Jenkins "singled out victims based on their perceived sexual orientation, then viciously assaulted them. The Department of Justice will not tolerate these sorts of heinous, hate-based attacks," said Acting US Attorney Chad Meacham for the Northern District of Texas. "Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, bigots often lurk online. We urge users of
The other three men - Michael Atkinson, Pablo Ceniceros-Deleon, and Daryl Henry - were sentenced earlier this year. Atkinson was sentenced to more than 11 years in prison, Ceniceros-Deleon 22 years, and Henry 20.
- Migration to other social media platforms shows no signs of slowing following Elon Musk's chaotic takeover at Twitter, report says
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Max Financial Services: Company worth ₹24,000 crore running with only 12 employees
- Best bike helmet under ₹1000
- Best dinner set under ₹2000
- DroneAcharya AI IPO set to open next week on December 13; GMP at ₹25 per share
- Low pressure mounts over Andaman Sea, heavy rain expected to lash TN
- New Indian sustainable jet fuel technology could cut aviation emissions by 80%
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Droneacharya Aerial IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World