A 5th grader at a Virginia elementary school just threatened to shoot up their class. It's the same school where a 6-year-old shot his teacher last month.
- A 5th grader at Richneck Elementary School in Virginia threatened to shoot up their class.
- The student texted the threat to friends, who told their parents and alerted the school.
Less than a month after classes resumed at the school where a 6-year-old student shot his teacher, another student at the school, a fifth grader, threatened to "pop some bullets" in their classroom.
On Monday, Richneck Elementary School administrators emailed families about a "potential safety concern," representatives for the Newport News School District confirmed to Insider.
"A group of fifth-grade students at Richneck were engaged in a text conversation on Saturday when one of the students stated that they would "pop some bullets" and tell someone to shoot up the class," read Richneck administrator Karen Lynch's email to families. "One of the students reported this to their parent and the parent contacted the teacher who informed me and provided me with the name of the student offender."
Classes at the school will resume tomorrow, the district representative told Insider. The student who made the threat is "excluded" from school, and an investigation is underway.
Representatives for the Newport News School District declined to answer Insider's additional questions about the incident.
The threat comes just over a month after a 6-year-old student from the same school brought a gun to school and shot his first grade teacher, Abigail Zwerner, as she read to the classroom.
The January 6 shooting marked the nation's first school shooting of 2023. In the lead-up to the incident, the boy had made threats in the classroom, and Zwerner warned school officials on the day she was shot that the student may have a gun in his backpack.
Full-time classes resumed on January 30, with students of the elementary school being given clear backpacks to carry their items and walking through metal detectors on their way inside, according to a Richneck Elementary School statement. There will be no change to the class schedule over the most recent threat.
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- Sebi to boost disclosure norms; do away with permanent board seats for individuals
- Here are the ten big income tax rule changes that will come into effect from April 1
- Not just for OTT, people rely on digital to discover & engage with content across TV and movies: BCG-Meta Report
- SPC Lifesciences files draft papers with SEBI for IPO
- Sensex rallies 346 pts, Nifty near 17,100 on firm global markets