An influencer mom who accused a Latino couple of trying to kidnap her kids in a store was charged with lying to police
- A mom influencer accused a Latino couple of attempting to kidnap her kids at a craft store.
- Police investigating the incident said they found no evidence to support Katie Sorenson's claims.
- She's now being charged with two misdemeanors for giving false information to police.
An influencer mom who accused a Latino couple of attempting to kidnap her kids in a California Michael's store has been charged with giving false information to the police stemming from the December incident, BuzzFeed reported.Mom influencer Katie Sorenson went viral in December after she accused a couple of attempted kidnapping but the Petaluma Police Department at the time said investigators found no evidence supporting Sorenson's claims.
Shortly after Sorenson posted the videos online, police said in a press release that Sorenson "provided another account of the event that included significant information that was not shared with the Petaluma Police Department on December 7th or before her video was posted to social media."Sorenson also alleged that Martinez attempted to grab her stroller and told investigators she was willing to testify to that and wanted the couple prosecuted.
Vega-Martinez recognized herself in CCTV footage police released asking for information on the incident and came forward to cooperate with police, the Daily Beast reported."I couldn't believe it. It's like we're literally guilty of being brown while shopping," she said at the time. The couple then accused Sorenson of
"Do you really think it's okay to go online and be racist and make stories about a family?" she said at a rally.
Following news of the charges, Vega-Martinez told the Petaluma Argus-Courier: "We're very happy with the news. It's a nice step toward justice. It gives you hope."
- SBI, HDFC, ICICI and 12 others banks are joining forces to use blockchain to power Letters of Credit — a move that could be a boon for MSMEs
- Larsen & Toubro Infotech to buy Pune-based digital engineering firm CueLogic
- Canadian edtech unicorn ApplyBoard to 'step up' growth in India, raises $300 million in external investment
- Best 43-inch smart LED TVs for small and medium sized rooms
- Moderna's protein-based Covid jab and mRNA vaccine safe for use in children, says university study