Florida man killed openly gay teen he had been chatting to online because he feared being outed, police say
Floridateenager shot an openly gayteenager he had been chatting to online, according to police.
- The Daytona Beach Police say Jakari Webb, 19, shot him because he feared being outed as gay.
A Florida teenager fatally shot another teenager he had been speaking to online because he feared being out as gay, according to Daytona Beach Police.
Jakari Webb, 19, was arrested Wednesday in connection with the death of Telan Mann, also 19, police said, per NBC News.
The Daytona Beach Police Department said an investigation began after officers found Mann with multiple gun wounds and "in a pool of blood" on a sidewalk in the early hours of the morning on June 23. Mann passed away on the scene.
According to Fox News affiliate WOFL, officers were able to identify the suspect after reviewing more than 100 hours of surveillance footage. Authorities tracked the suspect down to his home, a couple of miles from where the
According to police, Webb and Mann had been chatting on social media since February. They had planned to meet for the first time on June 23, police said.
Mann was openly gay, according to police, per the ClickOrlando.com.
Their first meeting turned out to be when Webb was accused of shooting Mann, police added.
"There was some concern that Telan either had or was going to post something on social media kind of outing the suspect," said Daytona Beach Police Chief Jakari Young at a
Webb believed Mann had been spreading rumors about him being gay, police said on Facebook.
Webb is being held without bond at a county jail. He faces three charges, including first-degree murder, resisting an officer, and a probation violation.
The State Attorney's Office for Florida's 7th District is currently "evaluating" whether to add on an additional hate
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Personal trainer Kelsey Wells' protein-packed go-to smoothie is a 'meal in a cup' that tastes like cookie batter
- JioCinema breaks world record with over 3.2 crore viewers during IPL final
- Nifty, Sensex now at 'reasonable valuations' but midcaps, small caps and financials still have some juice left
- Sensex, Nifty50 rise in morning trade led by FMCG, energy and auto stocks
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038