Justice Department closes jail where Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide
Metropolitan Correctional Centeris a federal jail in Manhattan, New York City. Jeffrey Epsteinwas found dead in his jail cell there in August 2019.
- The US government will "temporarily" close the facility, the Justice Department said Thursday.
The US government is "at least temporarily" closing the federal jail in New York City that became infamous following the 2019 suicide of accused sex-trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, the
The Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan had long been the subject of criticism over poor conditions for those detained there.
"In an effort to address the issues at
In May, two former guards at the facility reached a deal with prosecutors after being accused of sleeping and browsing the internet when they were supposed to be keeping an eye on Epstein every 30 minutes. He was later found dead after hanging himself.
The jail's closure comes after the US Bureau of Prisons had "assessed steps necessary to improve conditions," The New York Times reported.
- Top 10 must-visit destinations in South Africa
- Indian markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Stock markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Icy pebbles may be carrying water to developing planets across the cosmos!
- With $500 billion in reserves, LIC is the world’s fourth largest insurer