Man accused of punching Asian woman, 67, more than 100 times causing her a brain injury is indicted on hate crime charges
New Yorkman has been indicted on multiple hate crimecharges, prosecutors say.
- He was arrested in March relating to the assault of a 67-year-old Asian woman.
A New York man has been indicted on multiple hate crime charges for allegedly punching an elderly Asian woman more than 100 times earlier in the year, prosecutors say.
Tammel Esco, 42, was indicted on charges including attempted murder in the second degree as a hate crime, assault in the first degree as a hate crime, and three counts of assault in the second degree as a hate crime.
Esco was arraigned on the indictment on Tuesday. He pleaded not guilty, a spokesperson for Westchester District Attorney's office told CNN.
He is being held without bail, the City of Yonkers Police Department said in a press release on Wednesday.
Esco was arrested in March shortly after a 67-year-old Asian woman was assaulted inside the vestibule of her building while unlocking a door.
Surveillance footage showed Esco punching the victim more than 100 times, stomping on her, spitting at her, and yelling racially offensive slurs, according to police.
The victim, who is of Filipino descent, was transported to the hospital. She suffered from brain bleeding, multiple facial fractures, as well as bruising and lacerations, police said.
Esco lived in the same building as the victim, according to NBC New York. Police said he had a criminal record and had previously served time for assault, the media outlet reported.
Yonkers Police Commissioner Christopher Sapienza said that an "intense investigation" led to the quick arrest of Esco and his eventual indictment.
"He will now have to face the justice system to answer for his actions as the courts hold him accountable for this violent crime," Sapienza said. "The Yonkers Police Department does not tolerate violence in our city, especially not acts of violence rooted in bias."
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?
- RBI cancels license of Pune-based Rupee Cooperative Bank, says 99% depositors will receive full refund