Two teens are accused of stealing a necklace from a dead body and capturing it in a Snapchat video that circulated online, police say
Texasteenagers recorded themselves taking jewelry from a dead body, police said.
- Video of a 17-year-old teen taking a necklace from the body reportedly circulated on
- The teens were both charged with theft from a dead body or grave, according to police.
In a statement provided to Insider, police said investigators learned of videos circulating online that showed a 17-year-old girl removing jewelry from the body after deputies responded to a 911 call about the death. Investigators identified the two teenagers, aged 16 and 17, as those who had discovered the body. Insider is not naming the suspects because they are minors.
According to the arrest affidavit obtained by Insider, deputies were dispatched on the morning of July 26 to respond to calls reporting an injured or sick adult. They discovered a deceased male hanging from the railing of a drainage ditch, police said.
According to local news outlet KENS 5, the Bexar County Medical Examiner ruled the death a suicide.
Per the arrest affidavit, the older suspect told investigators that when she and the 16-year-old discovered the deceased man, the younger said that she liked the jewelry around his neck. The 17-year-old then took it, telling investigators that she had done so without touching the deceased's neck.
The 16-year-old told investigators that she had recorded the incident on her friend's phone using
Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said that in the video, the teens were laughing as they took the necklace and were "treating it as a joke," according to KENS 5.
Police said in their statement to Insider that the two teenage girls found the deceased man while on the way to a nearby gas station and called a friend, who called 911.
According to the arrest affidavit, the teenagers admitted that they had stolen the necklace and a charm from the body, keeping the charm but disposing of the necklace. Both were charged with theft from a human corpse or grave, a felony in the state of Texas, and placed into custody on July 27. The deceased was a 25-year-old male, police said.
The 17-year-old, whom KENS 5 reported was charged as an adult, was booked on July 28 and charged with theft from a dead body with a bond set at $2000, according to Bexar County Jail records. She was released on bond and has a court appearance set for August 24. Her attorney did not immediately return Insider's request for comment.
There were no publicly available court records for the 16-year-old suspect.
- A massive study from Israel suggests older adults were far less likely to develop severe COVID-19 after a booster shot, but the finding carries major limitations
- Everything you need to know about iOS 15: Release date, new features, supported devices
- Watch SpaceX launch 4 space tourists into Earth's orbit
- Wealth management firm White Oak Capital gets SEBI’s nod to enter mutual fund business
- IPO-bound Pine Labs raises another $100 million
- Virat Kohli to step down as India’s T20 captain, says he had ‘immense workload’ over the years
- India's bad bank gets government nod — green lights NARCL with ₹30,600 crore guarantee
- Byju’s acquires yet another coding-for-kids startup, this time an American one