India stopped counting suicides 3 years ago — now, it’s the worst in all of South East Asia
- On the heels of the
World Mental Health Day, the World Health Organisation (WHO) is focussing on suicide prevention.
- India recorded the highest suicide rate in the South-East region in 2016, shows a new study by World Health Organisation (WHO).
suicide rate in Indiastood at 16.5% per 100,000 people — six percentage points higher than the global average of 10.5%.
- However, the Indian government has not published any statistics over the last three years, so as to implement WHO guidelines and strategies for suicide prevention.
- The female suicide rate was also the highest in India at 14.5%, as compared to other south-eastern countries.
However, India no longer publishes any data statistics on suicide attempts at the national level. And so, it can’t implement the WHO guidelines and strategies for suicide prevention, Indiaspend noted.
Suicide is the second highest cause of unnatural dealths among youngsters and every 40 seconds, a person commits suicide. According to WHO, every person who dies by suicide leads to more than 20 people trying to attempt it.
According to the study, the suicide rate in India stood at 16.5% per 100,000 people — six percentage points higher than the global average of 10.5%. In fact, the suicide rate among females was also the highest in India at 14.5%, as compared to other south-eastern countries.
While it stands third among those countries that see the highest number of male suicides, after Sri Lanka and Thailand at 23.3% and 21.4% respectively.
In 2014, the international agency proposed a suide-prevention model focussing on four areas — surveillance, identification of risks and protective factors, development & evaluation of interventions and implementation. But, to implement these, India needs data.
Every 40 seconds, a person commits suicide says WHO
India wants more IITs to have wellness centers to curb stress and depression
Fear, self-loathing and stress affect students appearing for competitive exams
Popular on BI
- EPFO invested Rs 27,105 crore in exchange trade funds in Apr-Oct: Labour Min
- Cocktails to prasads: What Indians wanted to cook and brew in 2023
- Kiara Advani to David Beckham, the most searched people in India in 2023
- Kashmir to Switzerland and more – India’s 10 most searched travel destinations in 2023
- Five common symptoms of Stomach Cancer