Dangal girl Babita Phogat is losing her first election in Dadri
- Wrestler and politician Babita Phogat was given a ticket by BJP in September from the Dadri constituency.
- Sambir, an independent candidate is winning by a margin of 14080 votes.
- She’s up against multiple political stalwarts.
- The exit polls have predicted a close contest for Phogat.
Sambir, an independent candidate is winning by a margin of 14080 votes.
Commonwealth gold medalist Phogat, who has said that she was inspired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, is one of the party’s star candidates in the state.
AdvertisementThere are seventeen candidates in the fray from the Dadri constituency. But she is also up against political heavyweights like Satpal Sangwan of the Jannayak Janta Party (JJP) and Nirpender Singh Sangwan of the Congress.
Exit polls predict a close contest for Phogat, which is known for its surprise victories.
According to reports, no candidate has won a second term in the constituency, with elections almost always ending up in an exciting, close contest.
The Dangal girl had joined the party along with her father Mahavir Phogat in August, and in the end of September featured in the BJP candidate list.
One half of the Phogat sisters, Babita shot to fame with her victories in wrestling. She won a silver in the Commonwealth Games in 2010. She went on to win a gold in the games in 2014 and in 2018.
Phogat is batting for development in Dadri, water issues, women’s development and one of her election promises has also been to increase the influence of sports in the region.
AdvertisementShe had also famously added on to PM Modi’s Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign, by saying Beti Khilao.
- UltraTech Cement's ₹5,477 crore expansion plan is a sign that Birla is betting on a faster economic recovery
- SBI’s mobile banking app is down for the third time in 30 days — digital services take a hit for the 25th time this year
- HCL Tech's Roshni Nadar is India's richest woman in 2020, according to Kotak Wealth Hurun India list
- Hero ISL’s viewership for the first 8 matches has grown by 16% in comparison to last year
- Reliance Infratel resolution plan approved by NCLT Mumbai – Jio to pick up the tower unit