Delhi election 2020: AAP’s Gopal Rai wins a second term in Babarpur with 84,776 votes
- Social activist and the Convener of Delhi’s ruling Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) — Gopal Rai — won from Babarpur constituency, again.
- It is the same constituency where he won over rival Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate with a margin of over 36,000 votes in 2015 polls.
- He is contesting against BJP’s Naresh Gaur and Anveeksha Jain from Congress.
As a part of the Delhi government, Rai took steps towards the safety of women and children. He initiated the installation of CCTV cameras in his constituency in Delhi. He said that the move will help the government crack down on suspicious activities in the area.
Babarpur was known for daylong congestion and broken roads with potholes — which is now on the path to improvement. “This was a key promise of the government to the people and is being fulfilled today,” he had said while inaugurating the project in his Babarpur constituency.
|Party||2020 Elections||2015 Elections|
Rai, who is a postgraduate in sociology and the Minister of Employment, Development, Labour, General Administration and Irrigation, has been associated with AAP from the time of Anna Hazare’s anti-corruption protests. He is now a key member of AAP’s Political Affairs Committee (PAC).
Pollution crisis, cracking down on unauthorised residential colonies and a full statehood of Delhi are the key issues to be brought up during the assembly polls and campaigns. Kejriwal also told NDTV that clean water supply, ensuring the safety of women and improving public transport are the top priorities of the party.
This is the first time that the national capital is going to polls after the Lok Sabha elections. In the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, BJP bagged all the seats in Delhi.
Delhi Election 2020: Atishi, an Oxford graduate and Rhodes scholar is drawing up AAP’s agenda in the national capital
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal— the man with a knack for Carpe Diem
Delhi Election 2020: Gautam Gambhir, MP, cricketer and commentator, will have a lot of say during Delhi’s upcoming assembly elections
- HM commanders channelised drug smuggling money in J&K to support terror activities: NIA
- What is gender lens investing? Sangita Reddy, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Nandini Piramal, and Vani Kola share their thoughts
- Luxury icons Sabyasachi and Oberoi open up about their 'perfectionist quirks' like checking the color of egg yolks and slashing clothes so they can’t hit the edit table
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi warns against complacency in the fight against COVID-19
- Best budget smartphone deals under ₹20,000 in the Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale 2020