Haryana assembly elections: 1.83 crore voters to decide the fate of the state
- The state will vote for the Assembly elections where 1169 candidates will fight out for 90 seats.
- There are over 1.83 crore lakh voters in Haryana.
- There are also 3.82 lakh first time voters in the state.
Voter turnout in Haryana
According to data from the Election Commission, there are over 1.83 crore voters in Haryana, of which 98.7 lakh are male, 85.1 lakh are female and 252 are transgenders.
From this, 40.67 lakh voters fall in the age group of 20-29, whereas 44.92 lakh fall in the 30-39 age group. According to an IANS report, nearly 22% voters in the 20-29 age group will play a major role in the Haryana Assembly polls on Monday, say social scientists.
There are also 3.82 lakh first time voters in the state.
Here’s a look at the voter turnout during the past 5 assembly elections in the state.
Here’s a look at the voter turnout during the last 5 Lok Sabha elections in Haryana.
Fight for power
Khattar, who became the first BJP CM in 2014, might be riding high on BJP’s latest win in the state during the Lok Sabha general elections, where the party won all 10 LS seats. But he faces strong competition from Bhupinder Singh Hooda, the two-time chief minister of the state.
Hooda, amidst much hullabaloo, got his party – the Indian National Congress’ ticket – to fight for the elections. Hooda, along with his strong political background, is also the party’s Jat face in Haryana.
The Jat community holds over 25% of the state’s population forming a large vote bank. The state’s regional party The Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) too is counting on the Jat votes.
Haryana has fewer women fighting to represent its few women
Criminal offenses among Haryana Election 2019 candidates on the rise — accusations of rape, attempted murder and rioting
Over 40% of Haryana Assembly Election 2019 candidates are crorepatis
- Life insurance sector witnesses 18.6 pc drop in first-year premium: CARE Ratings
- Anti-China sentiment will help Samsung boost sales in India, say analysts
- Tsuzuki to set up plant at Reliance's Model Economic Township in Jhajjar
- 6 fresh COVID-19 cases in Arunachal; count rises to 341
- Singapore recorded 178 new COVID-19 cases