Smriti Irani gets two portfolios – Women & Child Development and Textiles
Smriti Iranireturns to be a Cabinet Minister with two ministries – Women & Child Development along with Textiles.
- Irani is the BJP MP from
- She defeated Congress President Rahul Gandhi in the Amethi constituency.
Irani, the BJP MP from Amethi in Uttar Pradesh managed a spectacular win this election against Congress party leader Rahul Gandhi.
Irani, who held the Information and Broadcasting Ministry (I&B) before the country went into elections, had been shuffled around many times in the cabinet.
She had held the Human Resource Development Ministry and also Textiles later.
The former television actress had entered politics in 2003, as she joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Though she had lost to Rahul Gandhi at Amethi during the 2014 general elections, she managed a stunning turnaround with her relentless campaigning this time around. She had managed to cut Gandhi’s vote share by 12%, in the traditional Congress stronghold.
Irani had ran elections for a Lok Sabha seat for the first time in 2004 from Chandni Chowk in Delhi.
Smriti Irani: The woman who broke the Congress Bastion
- How Airtel’s AdTech platform is planning to deliver on the promise of ‘zero ad frauds’ to its clients
- Traffic jam on the Ganga - one of India's largest rivers will now get lane separators to deal with crowded boats
- Synology DiskStation DS220+ review – the perfect cloud replacement for backing up photos and files
- US drug regulator says Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine safe and effective
- Top stocks to watch on February 25