Bernie Sanders endorses Joe Biden after dropping out of the 2020 race
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders officially endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden's presidential bid on Monday.
- Sanders dropped out of the race on April 8 after failing to pick up momentum in a series of vital primary elections, making Biden the presumptive Democratic nominee.
- Since he dropped out, Biden's campaign has made an effort to reach out to Sanders' base.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
This story is breaking. Check back for updates.
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders officially endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden in the 2020 presidential race on Monday.
"We have to make Trump a one-term president and we need you in the White House," Sanders said on a livestream video with Biden on Monday.
Sanders, a progressive firebrand who hit the ground running with a series of wins in early primary and caucus states, dropped out of the race on Wednesday after failing to pick up momentum, making Biden the presumptive Democratic nominee.
Biden also praised Sanders during the virtual conversation.
"You've been the most powerful voice for a more fair and just America," Biden told his former competitor. "You don't get enough credit, Bernie, for being the voice that asks us to takle a hard look in the mirror and ask 'have we done enough?'"
The 2020 race was thrown into turmoil this year with the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in the US. The World Health Organization designated the coronavirus, which causes a disease known as COVID-19, a pandemic on March 11.
The US is currently the global epicenter of the outbreak, with nearly 400,000 confirmed cases and 12,912 deaths. The virus originated in the Hubei province of China and has since spread to at least 184 countries and territories around the world.
The US outbreak has sparked chaos in the electoral campaign season as states impose stay-at-home orders for residents and grapple with how to proceed with their respective primary contests.
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email email@example.com and tell us your story.
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.
- Toyota and Japan’s space agency have an ambitious plan for people to live on the moon by 2040
- Best oil heaters in India
- Indian family found frozen to death near Canada/US border identified
- OMD Mudramax launches outcome-based, AI-backed Media Buying Tool
- Prepaid mobile users may get to do one less recharge a year, but savings are not assured