Federal prosecutors are reportedly probing whether Rudy Giuliani acted as an 'unregistered foreign agent'
- Federal prosecutors have widened their investigation following the arrest of Rudy Giuliani's associates Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, and are seeking information about Giuliani's lobbying firm, reported The Wall Street Journal.
- Parnas and Fruman, who reportedly helped Giuliani in his push for a Ukrainian investigation into Democratic presidential contender Joe Biden, were arrested in October on campaign finance charges.
- One investigative source told the Journal that investigators were probing whether Giuliani may have been acting as an "unregistered foreign agent."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
According to the Journal's report, the subpoenas also sought information about Giuliani, the former New York mayor and personal attorney of President Donald Trump.One investigative source told the publication that they were probing whether Giuliani violated the law by acting as an unregistered foreign agent, or concealed his work for foreign clients.
Associated Press/Mark Lennihan
Giuliani told the publication that he had never served as a lobbyist or agent of a foreign government.
He has not been accused by investigators of any wrongdoing."I have yet to find anybody that's actually seen the subpoenas," Giuliani's attorney, Robert Costello, told CNBC.
"I would like to see one, then I could make a reasonable judgment of what is going on," Costello said.
Of Giuliani, he said: "I can tell you that he didn't do anything wrong, and he has no fear of any investigation of what he did."
Giuliani's connections with Parnas and Fruman are not entirely clear, but numerous media outlets have reported that Giuliani enlisted the help of the men to broker contacts with Ukrainian officials, as he sought to pressure Ukraine to announce a probe into Joe Biden, a key domestic rival of Trump.Giuliani was acting as an unofficial emissary for President Trump in seeking the Biden investigation from Ukraine, which has sparked an impeachment probe into the president's actions.
The arrest of Parnas and Fruman is unrelated to the impeachment inquiry, and relates to alleged campaign finance violations carried out by the men.It was reported by ABC Sundaythat Parnas handed over secret recordings of Trump and Giuliani to investigators on the House Intelligence Committee as part of the impeachment inquiry into Trump.
- India is seeking details on the rise in Swiss bank deposits from the South Asian country
- A UN report says India's new IT rules do not conform with international human rights norms
- Legendary Indian sprinter Milkha Singh to be cremated with state honours in Chandigarh
- Father’s Day 2021 -- here is a list of some memorable quotes and greetings
- Weekly crypto roundup: Burry’s crypto crash prediction, rapper Raftaar accepting crypto, crypto mining migration, and more