Michael Avenatti was just found guilty on all charges in his Nike extortion trial
- Lawyer Michael Avenatti was convicted by a Manhattan jury on Friday on all three charges concerning his attempts to extort up to $25 million from Nike.
- Avenatti was jailed last month after the judge revoked his bail following accusations that he committed additional financial crimes.
- The 48-year-old litigator made headlines when he began working with his former client Stormy Daniels two years ago.
- Avenatti will be tried in two other criminal cases in federal court on charges that he defrauded multiple clients and stole millions of dollars.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Lawyer Michael Avenatti was convicted by a Manhattan jury on Friday on all three charges concerning his attempts to extort up to $25 million from Nike.The disgraced attorney was accused of threatening to expose allegations that amateur basketball players were engaged in bribery unless the company paid him off. He was charged with transmission of interstate communications with intent to extort, honest services wire fraud, attempted extortion.Advertisement
Avenatti, who was made famous by his representation of porn star and director Stormy Daniels, was jailed last month after the federal district court judge following accusations that he committed more financial crimes while out on bail.
The lawyer will be tried in two other criminal cases in federal court on charges that he defrauded multiple clients and stole millions of dollars.The 48-year-old litigator began making headlines when he took on Daniels, who says she had an affair with President Donald Trump, two years ago.
Just days before the 2016 US election, Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen arranged a $130,000 payment to Daniels to keep her silent about an affair she says she had with Trump in 2006.Avenatti sued the president, on Daniels' behalf, accusing Trump of invalidating a non-disclosure agreement, and of defaming Daniels.Grace Panetta and Brennan Weiss contributed to this report. Advertisement
- US House Speaker tests positive for coronavirus
- Assam's COVID-19 tally rises to 11,736 with 735 fresh cases
- Kerala govt makes compulsory for public to follow COVID-19 norms till 2021
- Jharkhand reports 53 new cases of COVID-19, 1 more death
- COVID-19: Delhi govt orders compulsory rapid antigen detection test for high-risk individuals