Over 700 historians 'strongly' endorse Trump's impeachment, calling him a 'clear and present danger to the Constitution'
- More than 700 historians signed an open letter on Monday calling for President Donald Trump's impeachment.
- "It is our considered judgment that if President Trump's misconduct does not rise to the level of impeachment, then virtually nothing does," the historians said.
- This comes before the House is set to hold a full vote on two articles of impeachment against Trump on Wednesday.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Citing Trump's efforts to pressure Ukraine into launching investigations that would "advance his own re-election," the letter said the president is guilty of "numerous and flagrant abuses of power.""It is our considered judgment that if President Trump's misconduct does not rise to the level of impeachment, then virtually nothing does," the historians said, characterizing Trump as a "clear and present danger to the Constitution."
The letter was signed by prominent historians such as Jon Meacham, as well as filmmaker Ken Burns, among others.Earlier this month, hundreds of the nation's top legal scholars signed an open letter stating Trump engaged in "impeachable conduct" in his dealings with Ukraine.The House of Representatives is set to hold a vote on Wednesday on two articles of impeachment approved by the House Judiciary Committee last Friday. Trump is expected to be impeached, which will then move the process to the GOP-controlled Senate for a trial.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell last week said there was "zero chance" Trump would be removed from office. "The case is so darn weak coming over from the House. We all know how it's going to end," McConnell told Fox News last Thursday. "There is no chance the president is going to be removed from office."
- India records 16,752 fresh COVID-19 cases, biggest single-day jump in 30 days
- Indian rocket PSLV puts Brazil's Amazonia-1 satellite into orbit
- Apple Music launches 'Behind The Songs' hub to highlight songwriters and producers
- PSLV rocket lifts off with 19 satellites from Brazil, US and India
- Around 96% people saw drop in their earnings during COVID-19 induced lockdown