Photos show Michelle Obama and George W. Bush's enduring friendship, built on wisecracks and cough drops
- Former First Lady Michelle Obama and former President George W. Bush are old friends who don't let their party and political differences get in the way.
- Bush said he likes Obama because she gets his humor, while Obama called Bush her "partner-in-crime."
- The friendship, which began when former President Barack Obama was inaugurated in 2009, has had its fair share of viral moments, including several sly cough drop handovers and a sweet embrace.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
It's an iconic friendship.Since 2009, former Republican president George W. Bush and former first lady Michelle Obama have hit it off, sharing some truly memorable moments.
AdvertisementIn 2016, they had a sweet embrace that was impossible to fake. In 2018, Bush handed Obama cough drops on two different occasions - the first at the memorial service for late Sen. John McCain, and the second at the funeral for George H. Bush, Bush's father.
Here's their friendship, in photos.
The friendship blossomed in 2009, at President Barack Obama's inauguration.
It's a relationship that's been partly out of their hands since Obama and Bush are often seatmates at official functions. Of which, they attend a lot.Advertisement
But even when they aren't seated, the couples can be seen together.
In 2016, Obama and Bush showed the world their enduring friendship with a sweet embrace.Advertisement
In 2016, the pair shared a moment during a memorial service for five police officers who were killed in Dallas.
They also sang together.Advertisement
Bush spoke to People about their friendship in 2017.
In 2017, he told Ellen DeGeneres that their friendship surprised everybody.Advertisement
In 2018, at late Sen. John McCain's memorial, Obama saw Laura Bush hand her husband a cough drop, and asked for one, too.
A clip of Obama mouthing "thank you" after the handover went viral.Advertisement
In 2018, Obama said Bush was her "partner in crime."
She said she loved him "to death," and that he was "a wonderful and funny man."Advertisement
Then, at Bush's father's memorial in late 2018, as he greeted a line of past and present American presidents, he slyly slipped another cough drop into Obama's hand.
In December 2019, Obama defended Ellen DeGeneres when the host was ridiculed for having a friendship with Bush.Advertisement
Obama told "Today" that while they agreed on policy, their values were the same.
- Lawyers can now travel in special Mumbai suburban trains
- Bezos vs Ambani battle: Eight questions regarding Amazon's disclosures of Future deal will be in the spotlight
- Maharashtra reduces COVID-19 test rates at private labs to ₹980
- Top stocks to watch — Mahindra Finance, Tata Motors, Airtel, DHFL, SBI, Coforge, and others
- Compound Interest Waiver Scheme applies to everyone but provides limited relief — Here’s everything you need to know