Photos show Michelle Obama and George W. Bush's enduring friendship, built on wisecracks and cough drops
- Former First Lady Michelle Obama and former President George W. Bush are old friends who don't let their party and political differences get in the way.
- Bush said he likes Obama because she gets his humor, while Obama called Bush her "partner-in-crime."
- The friendship, which began when former President Barack Obama was inaugurated in 2009, has had its fair share of viral moments, including several sly cough drop handovers and a sweet embrace.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
It's an iconic friendship.
Since 2009, former Republican president George W. Bush and former first lady Michelle Obama have hit it off, sharing some truly memorable moments.
In 2016, they had a sweet embrace that was impossible to fake. In 2018, Bush handed Obama cough drops on two different occasions - the first at the memorial service for late Sen. John McCain, and the second at the funeral for George H. Bush, Bush's father.
It's also a friendship that's been a little out of their hands. Obama and Bush are often seatmates at official functions, so they can spend a lot of time next to each other.
Here's their friendship, in photos.
The friendship blossomed in 2009, at President Barack Obama's inauguration.
It's a relationship that's been partly out of their hands since Obama and Bush are often seatmates at official functions. Of which, they attend a lot.
But even when they aren't seated, the couples can be seen together.
In 2016, Obama and Bush showed the world their enduring friendship with a sweet embrace.
In 2016, the pair shared a moment during a memorial service for five police officers who were killed in Dallas.
They also sang together.
Bush spoke to People about their friendship in 2017.
In 2017, he told Ellen DeGeneres that their friendship surprised everybody.
In 2018, at late Sen. John McCain's memorial, Obama saw Laura Bush hand her husband a cough drop, and asked for one, too.
A clip of Obama mouthing "thank you" after the handover went viral.
In 2018, Obama said Bush was her "partner in crime."
She said she loved him "to death," and that he was "a wonderful and funny man."
Then, at Bush's father's memorial in late 2018, as he greeted a line of past and present American presidents, he slyly slipped another cough drop into Obama's hand.
In December 2019, Obama defended Ellen DeGeneres when the host was ridiculed for having a friendship with Bush.
Obama told "Today" that while they agreed on policy, their values were the same.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- Spotify set to overtake Apple Podcasts by the end of this year: eMarketer
- Bitcoin scammers used Apple's iPhone 13 reveal to steal $69,000 from fans
- Mirror, mirror on the wall; when will you stop judging us all: asks Taapsee Pannu in her latest ad with SUGAR Cosmetics
- This Indian chef says he is making his entire month's salary from one Instagram video but for him it’s just a tool
- Evergrande’s impact on Bitcoin highlights how cryptocurrencies still have growing pains