Secretary of State Pompeo has been privately telling Republicans he's planning to resign, but the Ukraine scandal is complicating his departure
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is apparently seeking to resign from the Trump administration ahead of a potential run for the US Senate, three senior Republicans told Time magazine.
- However, his reputation is in murky waters amid the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump.
- Pompeo has been known to be a loyal ally to the president. It is unclear if he has discussed his supposedly impending resignation with the president.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The three Republicans include "one who served in the Trump Administration, another who remains in government, and a third who served in several high-ranking posts and is active in GOP politics," Time reported. They spoke to the magazine on the condition of anonymity to discuss their private conversations with Pompeo.
The three Republicans told the magazine that Pompeo was planning to stay on as secretary of state for the next year, but the impeachment inquiry could prompt an earlier exit.Pompeo has been known to be a loyal ally to the president, so much so that he has been described as a "a heat-seeking missile for Trump's a--" in a New Yorker article. It is unclear if he has discussed his supposedly impending resignation with the president.
"Rumors of a Pompeo Senate campaign have circulated for months, and while Pompeo has said repeatedly that he has no intention of running, he has not ruled out a race," Time reported. "Pompeo aides previously have denied he was planning to step down."
- Read more:
- For the good of America, Mike Pompeo should step down as secretary of state
- Mike Pompeo made at least 4 significantly misleading statements about his role in the Trump-Ukraine phone call
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has failed to bring 'swagger' back to the State Department and America is paying the price
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called Hillary Clinton for job advice, even though he once said her response to Benghazi was worse than Watergate
- Mike Pompeo is the one of the most sycophantic of all Trump officials, according to a scathing profile where he is called 'a heat-seeking missile for Trump's a--'
- Chinese hackers claim Apple's Secure Enclave chip has a new 'unfixable vulnerability'
- National Education Policy: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister writes to Modi opposing the shift to three languages
- Bajaj Auto's July sales drop by a third and the bigger dent came from exports
- One-time loan restructuring dilemma - RBI won’t commit, and India Inc won’t stop asking for it
- While people boycott Chinese products, IPL to retain Chinese sponsors: Omar Abdullah