Trump defends his Coronavirus response minutes after Democratic candidates criticized it at the South Carolina debate
- Amid mounting criticism over his administration's preparedness and response to the Coronavirus outbreak, President Trump fought back by tweeting during the Democratic debate in South Carolina.
- "CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus, including the very early closing of our borders to certain areas of the world," Trump tweeted. "It was opposed by the Dems, 'too soon', [sic.] but turned out to be the correct decision."
- "So far, by the way, we have not had one death. Let's keep it that way!"
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
As Democrats piled onto President Donald Trump's handling of the coronavirus outbreak during Tuesday night's debate in South Carolina, there was a quick response.Trump began tweeting during the debate to defend his response to the Coronavirus. Advertisement
The tweets came minutes after minutes after Democratic candidates went after Trump's response to the virus so far. Mike Bloomberg hit Trump for firing key government officials normally in charge of epidemics and Joe Biden touted the Obama administration's actions on the Ebola outbreak.In a reference to Trump proclaiming himself a "very stable genius," Bernie Sanders ribbed the president over his prediction that the virus is going away.
In a dig at both Trump and Pete Buttigieg's earlier promotion of his own website, Amy Klobuchar recommended Americans to visit the Center for Disease Control's website to say safe.Trump rounded up his response by hailing a lack of Coronavirus related deaths in the United States so far.
CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus, including the very early closing of our borders to certain areas of the world. It was opposed by the Dems, "too soon", but turned out to be the correct decision. No matter how well we do, however, the.....- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 26, 2020
.@BernieSanders mocks Donald Trump's stance on coronavirus: "This great genius has told us that this coronavirus is going to end in two months... I wish I was kidding." #DemDebate pic.twitter.com/auCz486KoW- CBS News (@CBSNews) February 26, 2020
....Democrats talking point is that we are doing badly. If the virus disappeared tomorrow, they would say we did a really poor, and even incompetent, job. Not fair, but it is what it is. So far, by the way, we have not had one death. Let's keep it that way!- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 26, 2020
- Google to pump in Rs 75,000cr to help India go digital (Ld)
- Wipro has no plans of firing any employee due to COVID-19, says chairman Rishad Premji
- Singapore reports 322 new coronavirus cases, tally reaches 46,283
- 1,654 fresh COVID-19 cases reported in UP; 21 dead
- COVID-19: After Bengaluru, Dharwad and Dakshina Kannada districts announce lockdown