Trump used the annual Turkey pardon to troll Adam Schiff's impeachment hearings
- President Donald Trump pardoned a turkey named "Butter" during the annual National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation on Tuesday.
- Trump used the speech to crack jokes about the impeachment hearings, and the top Democrat leading the inquisition, Adam Schiff, chair of the House Intelligence Committee.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The shadow of impeachment darkened even the lighthearted turkey pardon on Tuesday, when President Donald Trump used his speech to make fun of the top Democratic leading the inquiry, Adam Schiff.
Presidents have been pardoning turkeys as far back as Abraham Lincoln's administration, and it's traditionally a family affair, with young relatives of the sitting president taking part and the president typically giving a humorous speech.
Trump certainly had jokes, but the opposing party may not have found them so funny. After detailing how the turkeys named "Bread" and "Butter" had been raised by farmer Wellie Jackson in North Carolina, Trump proceeded to crack a joke about how Rep. Adam Schiff was eyeing to have them testify in front of the House Intelligence Committee.
"Thankfully, Bread and Butter have been specially raised by the Jacksons to remain calm under any condition, which will be very important because they've already received subpoenas to appear in Adam Schiff's basement on Thursday. It's true, hundreds of people have," Trump said.
"It seems the Democrats are accusing me of being too hard on turkey," the president continued, seeming to make a joke about his decision to pull US troops out of Syria, allowing Turkish troops to attack longtime US allies, the Kurds.
"But Bread and Butter, I thought should I note that unlike previous witnesses, you and I have actually met," Trump continued, referencing how some of the officials called to testify in the impeachment hearings didn't witness certain events firsthand.
Trump ended the ceremony by pardoning the bird named Butter. Bread, the alternate turkey, will also get to spend the rest of its life at Gobbler's Rest at Virginia Tech University.
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- India’s central bank imposes ₹1 crore penalty on the country’s biggest lender
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Amazon's campaign encourages customers to thank its associates and share their happiness with frontline teams
- Brazilians bought more than $4 billion in cryptocurrencies this year as the country looks to regulate Bitcoin
- If you are a pensioner, you can submit Jeevan Pramaan sitting at home — Here is what you need to do
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons