4 GOP-controlled states are changing their unemployment laws to allow those defying COVID-19 vaccine mandates to get benefits
- GOP-controlled legislatures are seeking to undermine President Joe Biden's vaccine mandate.
- Four states have passed bills that would provide
unemployment benefitsto those fired for refusing the vaccine.
Republican-controlled legislatures in four states are changing their unemployment laws so that people who have been fired or quit their jobs over the COVID-19 vaccine mandate can claim unemployment benefits.
Under the usual rules, employees who have quit their jobs or been fired are not entitled to claim unemployment benefits. Axios reported the development on Sunday.
Here's a rundown of the changes:
- On October 30, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed a bill protecting the unemployment benefits of those fired for defying the mandates.
- On November 12, Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed into law a bill allowing those defying vaccine mandates to claim unemployment benefits.
- On November 19, Florida passed a bill allowing those defying the vaccine mandate to claim benefits as part of a broader bill providing a series of exemptions to employers' COVID-19 mandates.
- On November 23, lawmakers in the GOP-controlled Kansas State Legislature passed a bill protecting unemployment benefits of vaccine-mandate defiers as part of a bill broadening religious exemptions from the mandate, the Associated Press reported.
The laws seemed designed to undermine President Joe Biden's vaccine mandate, which is set to come into force in January. Under the rules, federal government employees or those employed in companies that have 100 or more people must get vaccinated, or submit to weekly COVID-19 tests. Companies defying the mandate face hefty fines.
Many Republicans have positioned themselves in opposition to vaccine mandates, and GOP-led legislatures in several states have enacted laws to provide broad exemptions to mandates.
According to researchers at the University of Oxford, the US has one of the lowest vaccination rates of countries in the G7. New concerns are growing about a new
- Corbevax price slashed to ₹250 per dose inclusive of GST
- IT professionals with 5-10 year experience are the best paid people in India
- Best toy bikes to keep your kids engaged
- New Range Rover Sport revealed in India— check features, specifications and more here
- Three new IPOs opening this week — Paradeep Phosphates, Ethos, eMudhra while LIC to list on exchanges tomorrow