Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said January 6 was 'interference with the lawful transfer of power using violence' but refrains from using the word 'insurrection'
- Rioters stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021, in an attempt to overturn the presidential election.
- Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson condemned the events of January 6 but didn't call them an insurrection.
During a Sunday interview with Jake Tapper on CNN's "State of the Union," Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson was reluctant to label the January 6 attack on the Capitol an insurrection, yet described it as one by definition.
"Some people are going to call it an insurrection. Some people are going to call it terrorism. I call it interference with the lawful transfer of power using violence, and that's wrong," Hutchinson said.
—The Recount (@therecount) January 9, 2022
The Republican governor paraphrased the definition for "insurrection" provided by dictionary publisher Merriam-Webster: a usually violent attempt to revolt against or take control of a civil authority or established government.
On January 6, violent protesters attempted to enter the Senate chamber, which forced US lawmakers to evacuate and abandon the task of certifying President-elect Joe Biden's 2020 election win.
While members of Congress were eventually able to return and finish the certification, it took authorities hours to regain control of the Capitol, and the riot resulted in multiple deaths.
Despite his indecisiveness on how to label the events of January 6, Hutchinson told Tapper that what happened shouldn't be minimized.
Hutchinson said: "Let's accept what it is. Let's don't run from it. Let's learn from it, and let's make sure that we don't fall down that path again. For the long term, we have to show to the world that we're not going to accept that as how we transfer power in elections in America."
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- Maruti Suzuki sales rise 10% in May as Jimny comes to the rescue
- IPL nail biters, munchies and the demand for ‘sides’
- White collar hiring activity flat in May, IT sector's woes continue: Report
- Top 5 places to visit in Auli
- Louis Vuitton's fall is Elon Musk's gain — Tesla owner reclaims top spot in richest list