Barack Obama's grandmother Mama Sarah Onyango Obama has died at the age of 99
- Barack Obama's grandmother has died, according to reports.
- Sarah Onyango Obama, a philanthropist, was 99 years old.
- Mama Sarah shot to national fame in Kenya upon Barack Obama's election as president in 2008.
Former President Barack Obama's step-grandmother Sarah Onyango Obama has reportedly passed away at a hospital in Kenya at the age of 99.
Known as Mama Sarah, she passed away early on Monday at a hospital in the city of Kisumu in western Kenya, her daughter Marsat Onyango told the Daily Nation newspaper.
A family spokesperson told the BBC that she had been unwell for a week but did not die from COVID-19.
Mama Sarah shot to national fame in Kenya upon Barack Obama's election as president in 2008. Tourists would visit Kogelo, the village where she lived, and often knocked on her door.
She used her fame to promote education and philanthropy, setting up the Mama Sarah Obama Foundation to provide food and education to orphans, France24 reported.
She was the third wife of Barack Obama's grandfather.
In a statement on Twitter, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said: "The passing away of Mama Sarah is a big blow to our nation. We've lost a strong, virtuous woman. A matriarch who held together the Obama family and was an icon of family values."
-State House Kenya (@StateHouseKenya) March 29, 2021
A spokesman for the family said she would be buried on Tuesday, the Daily Nation reported.
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life