Biden cries during farewell address from Delaware ahead of inauguration, says 'we should be introducing' his late son Beau as president instead
- President-elect Biden was overcome with emotion Tuesday during his farewell address from Delaware.
- Biden paid tribute to his late son, Beau, who died from brain cancer in 2015.
- "I only have one regret, that he's not here," Biden said. "Because we should be introducing him as president."
Before he headed down to the nation's capital ahead of his inauguration, President-elect Joe Biden bid farewell to his home state of Delaware in an emotional speech on Tuesday.
Biden spoke from the Major Joseph R. "Beau" Biden III National Guard/Reserve Center in New Castle, Delaware, quoting James Joyce to illustrate his love for the state.
In the middle of quoting the Irish writer, Biden choked up.
—Zach Purser Brown (@zachjourno) January 19, 2021
"Excuse the emotion, but when I die, Delaware will be written on my heart," Biden said, invoking Joyce's famous quote on Dublin being written on his heart.
Biden also honored his late son, Beau.
"Ladies and gentlemen, I only have one regret, that he isn't here. Because we should be introducing him as president," Biden said.
Beau suffered from brain cancer and died at 46 in 2015.
Biden has said his son's death was a major motivating factor in his decision to run for president.
"But we have great opportunities," Biden said as he composed himself after mentioning Beau. "Delaware has taught us anything is possible in this country."
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- International air travel penetration remains low in India: CAPA
- "Meeting friends is always a delight": PM Modi reacts to 'Melodi' selfie shared by Italian counterpart Georgia Meloni
- WhatsApp testing new feature that lets you search users by their username
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts