Biden had a private lunch with Bill Clinton during which the former president urged him to take credit if inflation decreases, report says
- President Joe Biden had a private lunch with former President Bill Clinton in May.
- The two men discussed Ukraine, inflation, and the midterms, The Washington Post reported.
President Joe Biden met with Bill Clinton in May, and the former president advised him on a range of topics and urged him to take credit if inflation decreases, said a report published by The Washington Post on Wednesday.
The meeting occurred on May 2 and was confirmed by the White House at the time after the Post, citing people familiar with the situation, first reported it was happening. Details on what the two Democrats discussed had not previously been reported.
Biden and Clinton discussed inflation, Ukraine, and the midterm elections, people briefed on the conversation told the Post. Clinton praised Biden for building support around Ukraine, as the US has provided extensive aide to the Eastern European country since Russia invaded in February.
Clinton also told Biden to talk more about what the White House was doing to address skyrocketing inflation in an effort to set himself up to take credit if inflation decreases later this year, the Post reported.
Inflation rates continued to rise in the wake of the meeting, but they have since appeared to start cooling off. Meanwhile, Democrats in Congress struck a deal on a massive tax, healthcare, and climate bill named the Inflation Reduction Act.
But it's unclear how much of an effect the bill, which passed the Senate on Sunday, may have on inflation. Analysts have given varied assessments on when, or how much, the bill would affect prices.
Biden's meeting with Clinton was on par with his habit of enlisting outside experts to seek guidance on various issues. The Post also reported that Biden met with a group of historians last week to discuss threats to democracy, and in January he met with foreign-policy experts ahead of an anticipated Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The White House did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Govt approves PLI scheme for making drones with outlay of Rs 120 cr, comes out with norms
- Apple transportation through drones to become reality in tribal Kinnaur district of HP
- Researchers develop device that uses sound waves to separate blood-based nanoparticles
- 5 Bihar villages to be developed into human-carnivore coexistence zone
- Delhi's air quality will likely improve from Sunday evening, says IMD
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World